Keeping an eye on my world!

Keeping an eye on my world!
"Don't Blink"

Saturday, November 8, 2008

REKINDLING A PAST RELAXATION

According to my friends at Woodynook - Becky and Gary, I really need to post more often. I know that they are right!!!! I am sincerely going to try to do better. So here it goes. Today's post.

Flashback to my days in college - up to our ears in books, paints, brushes, pastels, watercolors, clay, jewelry, et al. The dorm room was an absolute disaster - three of us in a room made for two and to make things worse - Karen, an art major; Patty, an art minor and me - also an art minor. Negotiating the most complicated of mazes would be a piece of cake compared to navigating that incredibly small space.

I am back to "up to my ears in art supplies". I have searched and found the numerous boxes that housed my art supplies. Packed away, but not forgotten for XX years. (To tell you that number would give away my age - a definite no, no) Surprisingly most survived. In fact, about two weeks ago I actually did a painting. A fall scene on a lane. Those that have seen it think it's good, but I still am not sure - but then again, I was always my own worst critic.

I have even gone a step further. My friend Jan invited Cindy (a mutual friend and my neighbor) and I to go to her Artist Guild meeting in a nearby town. We actually liked it so much that we joined. I believe that it will be an incentive to keep the muses flowing and a chance to meet some new people and fellow artists.

I also believe that it is "just what the doctor ordered" for me. I have found that it is very therapeutic for me and will help me during the healing process. You see, Carl and I did most everything together. Am I going to continue those activities - YOU BET - but I think that I also need something that is "me".

With the help of my son and a neighbor, I will soon be moving the easel from the living room to my "OSS" (not Office of Strategic Services) but rather my "Office, Studio, Sewing" room. I am really excited about having a new space of my own and I thought it should have a sobriquet.

There should be plenty of space for the easel, paints, brushes, jewelry making supplies, etc. And I can finally use the new sewing machine I have had for months - but haven't used because it was so much trouble to sew because if I didn't finish what I was sewing, I had to put everything away and get it all back out to complete the project. It will also be great to have the lovely computer desk my daughter Sarah gave me out of basement storage - and have a permanent place to put my 'puter and printer.

Perhaps down the line I will add a gallery of my work - for any to critique. I will definitely keep that under advisement.....In the meantime - with only a few weeks left until Christmas - does anyone on my list need a piece of art for their wall??????????

Coming soon - my other new diversion........

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well, it sounds like you are way too busy for me. When do you sleep? I'll be checking in on you, so lets see what you are up to...